Friday, October 25, 2013

My Brains

Being the mom of a moderate to large family, or even a small one, takes a lot of work and organization. Today I want to share some pages out of my organization file.  I apologize,  I am still learning how to make the documents link so you can open them in a new tab or window.  But, maybe just seeing what I have done will inspire you to create something simple that works for you.  There are a LOT of organization tools both on the 'net and the real world.  Several years ago I combined them into what I needed for my daily life, and this is what I came up with. (I took out the extra spaces for the post.  This is just a table made in a word document.)

Monday
Tuesday
Wednesday
Thursday
Friday
Saturday
Sunday
TO DO
Bible reading
Dishes
Girls laundry
Coupons/ads
Grocery list
Grocery shopping


Bible reading
Dishes
Boys laundry
Bills
Sort mail
Lead steers

Bible reading
Dishes
Baths
Clean bathrooms
K&A laundry
Bible reading
Dishes
Water plants
Bible reading
Dishes
Vacuum/dust
Tidy LR & den
Nap
Jeans &
towels
Bible reading
Dishes
Baths
Mop
Plan next week
Sunday clothes
Bake:


Work/ Appts
____ Trumpet Shopping


1p Exercise with friends


Work



Husband notes/ to do









Breakfast








Lunch








Dinner










Notes








Finances








The top section, of course, is where I put my daily "to do" list.  Some of it is pre-printed.  This idea comes from Large Family Logistics and Fly Lady's ideas of having certain things done on certain days.  Our Grandmas were right in figuring that each day needed to be dedicated to a certain thing, and keeping the same routine from week to week helps maintain order in the home!

The second section is Work and Appointments.  I am scheduled to work 1 day a week, but will often pick up an extra day here and there.  This is where my work schedule, along with trumpet practice, church events,  and other appointments go.  Pretty straight forward. We use g-calendar associated with our gmail accounts as our master family calendar.  We like it because each family member can have their own calendar, but then we can "share" our calendar with each other so that the household manager (ME) can see the big picture. The other plus to an online calendar is that any of us can access it from anywhere there is internet access.

The third section is for my notes regarding my husband.  Often he will say, "Remind me to do *something* when I get home," as he walks out the door for work.  This is where those things, along with my Honey-do list of requests or things I want to discuss with him when he gets home get written.  This helps free up my brain so I don't have to remember all day that question I wanted to ask at 9 a.m. Also, then I am not interrupting my man by IM'ing him while he's working.

The next section is meals.  We have the same thing every week.  It's just easier that way. E.G. Mondays are leftover coffee cake or muffins, yogurt and fruit for breakfast, lunch meat and cheese sandwiches with fruit/veg for lunch, and something with ground meat, a hot vegetable, and salad for supper.  The kids get used to the routine, and it makes it easier to plan shopping lists.  More on the in another post.  I DO have a 6-week supper planner sheet.  Lately it has become easier to just write my month's-worth of  suppers on my weekly planners and go from there, eliminating 1 piece of paper from my life! I'll share that in my meal planning post, also.

Notes ends up being everything from school notes to random thoughts that I don't want to stray or book titles/subjects that I want to check on the next time we are at the library. This is my "I need to write this down somewhere before I forget it" spot.

Finances is where I record the bills as I pay them, along with an online confirmation number, if applicable, or what date they are scheduled to go out.  Maybe I will write another post on that subject.  

That's the main part of my brains.  I hope the ideas help you as you find what works for you as Household Manager Extraordinaire!




No comments:

Post a Comment