Monday, December 21, 2015

Shaker Gingerbread

Shaker Gingerbread is our version of "Christmas Pudding".  Sometime between Thanksgiving and Christmas I just HAVE to make it.  I grew up eating Mom's very tasty gingerbread, and I learned to like Mincemeat Pie.  THIS is the perfect combination of the two!  I found the original recipe in Country Living Magazine, put out by our local Rural Electric Cooperative.  This is my own unique version of the recipe!!

Shaker Gingerbread
1 C. Brown Sugar
2/3 C. Butter or margarine
3 Eggs
1 C. Molasses
1 C. Plain Yogurt
3 1/2- 4 C. Flour
1 1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
1 1/2 C. Mincemeat (see following recipe)
1 tsp Ginger
1 tsp. Cinnamon
1/2 tsp. Cardamom
1/2 tsp Cloves

Cut butter into sugar.  Blend in eggs, molasses, yogurt, baking soda, mincemeat and spices.  Stir in flour.  Bake in greased 9x13 pan at 350 degrees for 55 minutes.

Anna's "None Such Mincemeat"
I can't see buying a jar of mince for $5 or more, when I can make it for $1 or 2!! So, I took the ingredients from a jar, and developed my own.  It is much lighter in flavor, but can be adjusted to suit your personal taste.

1/2 C. Water
2 C. Raisins
1/2 C Brown Sugar
1 C. Molasses
3 Apples, peeled, cored, & chopped
1 Tbsp Dried Lemon Peel or Zest
dash of salt
1/4 C. Dried Orange Peel
1 TBSP Pumpkin Pie Spice (See below, or use commercially prepared mix)
1/4 C. Flour or 2 TBSP Cornstarch
1/2 -1 tsp. Rum flavoring
1/2-1 tsp. Brandy flavoring

Combine all ingredients in saucepan or microwave container.  Cook until apples are tender, raisins are soft, and sauce is thickened.  *Note: I buy up lemons and oranges in the winter when they are on sale, and then dry the peels as we use the fruit.  Then, I grind the dried peels in the blender or food processor, and store them in glass jars or clean spice jars for future use.  This is MUCH cheaper than buying store-bought lemon and orange peel or zest.

Pumpkin Pie Spice 
·         4 tablespoons ground cinnamon
·         4 teaspoons ground nutmeg
·         4 teaspoons ground ginger
·         3 teaspoons ground allspice
·         2  teaspoons ground cloves

I stole this recipe from the internet, but I can't remember from where.  It works, and is cheaper than store bought.  Just re-use a spice container, or store in a small glass jar.




No comments:

Post a Comment